So, I watched a video of Jenny Doan from Missouri Star Quilt Company make a self-binding baby blanket. It looked very cute. The fabric that she was using was very expensive, and I wanted to try it, but not with anything that can cost a bunch of money in case it turned out horrible. So, I looked at a bunch of scraps that I had from my great nephew’s dog blanket and decided that I would piece a quick top and then use a piece of fleece for the back. I gave my daughter all the pieces and told her to lay them out and number them for me (She totally wanted credit for the design).
So, doing the self-binding part was not difficult. It was actually pretty easy. The only part I found difficult was quilting this. Fleece has a fair amount of stretch to it, so I had to be careful not to stretch as I quilted. Her instructions said you could do as little as sew a square in the middle to keep the front and back from coming apart. I did a bit more than that. I am not sure if it was good or bad. I think if I had started at it for a while, I might have come up with a better plan. I will try it again to see if I can do something I like a bit more.
On a positive note, this was an inexpensive quilt to make. The front was scraps and the back was a $6 piece of fleece. There is no batting and it is a very nice weight for a quilt.
Last night I cut out a bunch of squares for my Uncle Donald Quilt. WooHoo. I will have a page devoted to Uncle Donald Quilts soon….