I feel I am allowed to make fun of myself. So, what dumb thing did I manage to do this time? As I was getting out of my lovely new hot tub, the steps slipped and I went with them. Falling about 3 and half feet to the concrete. Let’s see I had a baseball on the back of my head, the underneath part of my arm is black and blue, about a soccer ball sized bruise on my left side rib cage and and equally sized one on my backside. Also sprained
a wrist and black and blue right kneecap (not sure how that one happened everything else was left side). Needless to say, everything hurts. Thank god it was dark out. I imagine it was quite a site. Of course my cell phone went flying so I had to crawl to it to call Kev for some help. He spent the rest of the night checking on me to make sure I did not have a concussion. Well, I am pretty sure this will take a bit of time to recover. Thank God I did not break my arm or wrist. It would have seriously impacted my projects. Whew.
So, when I am not falling down, I seem to be wandering form project to project, not doing what I really should be doing. These baby bibs have been laying on my sewing cabinet unfinished for months, so I picked them up and finished them. I will put them in the cedar chest for my one-day grandchild. They are up-cycled from my jeans. I need to be working on my one monthly goal and my quarterly goals, but of course I am doing something else.
This weekend I am supposed to be attending Quilt Wars with my Quilt Guild, however, given my current condition, I am not sure I am going to make it. I am uncomfortable sitting, laying basically anything. The only place I am not uncomfortable is in the hot tub and that is what started the whole mess in the first place. Ugh.
I started investigating quilt storage, becsaue I have several quilts that I plan on keeping for my daughter. Then, I have a couple laying around that have not yet told me their purpose.
I am also the crazy dog lady, so there are also three dogs running around at all times, so finding a way to store them seemed like a good idea and less work than cleaning dog hair from them several times. I found someone selling muslin drawstring bags for about $25.00 each. Hmmmm. So, I dug up some muslin in one of my many boxes of fabric and went to work. I decided to take a scrap from one of my projects and use it so I would easily know which quilt was in the bag without opening it. I am pretty sure these bags will stop my quilts from constantly getting “Dogged Up” as I tell my dogs, as if they know what it means when I tell them to stop dogging up my quilts (crazy dog lady for many reasons). I have one of my little dogs, Snibble, that wants to test them before I am done binding. If I sit down with a quilt on my lap to do binding, she is immedialty underneath it making sure it is adequately warm. So, my quilts are totally dog approved before I do anything with them. When I am done, there is a lot of de-dogging that goes on. I am hoping this stops me from having to do it multiple times.
Pretty simple to make. Could also be dual purpose, ecspecially with the baby quilt. The bag could be stuffed into the diaper bag to hold dirty clothes or anything. I would like to get my sizing a little better. I actually did better on the first one (baby quilt) that the bigger one. I have a couple of others to do and will hopefully get the hang of the sizing. It is really not exaclty one size fits all. They still work, even though the one for the black quilt is a bit large.
I put a pocket on the front. I did this mostly, becasue I wante to write my daughter notes about the quilts I made for her, but that would certainly work for all of my quilts. Once I have it down, I will write some simple intructions.
So, after my June free motion quilting seminar, I have decided to branch out a bit. I am going to quilt an actual quilt, in the very near future (could be my August One Monthly Goal Project) with something other than meandering or a version of meandering. Big scary move for me. So, my “Zipper Quilt” top, I want to use a flower free motion design. However, I plan to do it on a smaller baby quilt first. I already have that top ready to go. Just need to get up the courage to do it.
Needless to say, I have been practicing (Using my cheap grill liner as a slider). All the practice got me thinking. My square sandwiches looked like potholders. So, I decided to make my final practice pieces into potholders. I bought a piece of the special thermal batting. I made all my practice sandwiches and on the last couple, when I had the hang of it, I made Minion potholders. I need to bind them, but I have plenty of binding scraps I can use. I have found that I make better flowers when I work from left to right and I like them best with 5 petals. Then. as I bind my potholders, I can also practice my corners. I don’t like binding corners either. Jeez, I have so many issues. But now, I have a few handmade gifts when needed.
The quilting on my Minion potholders is not too bad. I hope I can do the same on my baby quilt and then off to my “Zipper Quilt”. It is hard not to smile at a minion.
My one monthly Goal for July was to trim and bind my 9 patch. Yeah. Completed. This quilt has a loopy meandering. It is not too bad. Pretty sure I have meandering, and multiple variations of it, down packed. At this time, I have no plans for this quilt, just glad I can consider it finished.