Last night my quilt guild, The Marysville Crazy Quilters had their Holiday party. It was also judging for “The Plaid Challenge”.
Great fun and food was had by all!
I placed third in the plaid challenge.
I won $25.00. WooHoo!
How will I spend my riches? I think that I will buy a Creative Grids Ruler with it. I only have 2 and find them very useful. That way I can look at that ruler and remember why I have it. LOL. I am such a dork.
I really do enjoy a creative challenge. Here is some really ugly fabric that does not go together. Go make something with it.
The rules were that you had to have some of every fabric in your quilt. It could be any size of a quilted item.
So, from left to right in the photo the quilts were numbered. I am number 7 (Carpenter star). Number 5 won 1st (looks like a planet in the middle) and #3 was Second (Tumbling blocks).
I think I do have plans to gift this quilt to someone. I know someone who could use a little happy and might appreciate it!
To me, it looks like a “dude” quilt. Not feminine at all. I need to wash it first. I once had a problem with black fabric that had been stored a long time and this was from my stash. I have no idea how old the black was. Better safe than sorry.
My family from Germany is coming to visit. They should be arriving in the states today. They have three weeks planned out. We will be meeting up with them in Washington DC in a couple of weeks. I have never met my cousin’s wife or daughter. I am very excited to meet them in person. We do chat and sometimes talk on WhatsApp.
So, Sophia and Christine, love horses. They send me videos of Sophia riding her horse frequently, which I enjoy. So, I made a horse quilt for her.
IT gave me such grief. Mostly due to the fact that sometimes, I am just a dumba$$.
So, this was one of the quilts that I was basting when I had the spray debacle. Funny thing that turned out to be the least of my problems. I had this all rolled up ready to be basted. Thought I was ahead of the game. Hahaha. Turns out that as I reached the bottom of the basting, I failed to measure this quilt. I could say I improperly measured, but truth be told, I never measured it at all. So, turns out my backing and batting was a few inches too short.
No way to unglue all that. I decided to quilt it and leave 6 inches unquilted and then figure out what to do. I sort of figured that I will piece the batting and backing on.
Well, I managed to piece in the piece of batting, not a big deal. However, I had left over arrow fabric that I was going to use to piece across the bottom. Wrong. Came out totally wonky and looked like a crazy person did it. I think the problem was that it was directional and sewing the fabric on was not as easy as I thought. Ended up finishing the quilting without the back and hand sewing a piece clear across the back along the bottom (light green).
I really did not like this quilt the entire time I was working on it, however now that is is finished, I do like it. It looks like a horse quilt for a little girl and that is what I was going for. The back came out OK despite my issues.
I got word today that they were in New York. Looking forward to meeting up with them!
So, after my June free motion quilting seminar, I have decided to branch out a bit. I am going to quilt an actual quilt, in the very near future (could be my August One Monthly Goal Project) with something other than meandering or a version of meandering. Big scary move for me. So, my “Zipper Quilt” top, I want to use a flower free motion design. However, I plan to do it on a smaller baby quilt first. I already have that top ready to go. Just need to get up the courage to do it.
Needless to say, I have been practicing (Using my cheap grill liner as a slider). All the practice got me thinking. My square sandwiches looked like potholders. So, I decided to make my final practice pieces into potholders. I bought a piece of the special thermal batting. I made all my practice sandwiches and on the last couple, when I had the hang of it, I made Minion potholders. I need to bind them, but I have plenty of binding scraps I can use. I have found that I make better flowers when I work from left to right and I like them best with 5 petals. Then. as I bind my potholders, I can also practice my corners. I don’t like binding corners either. Jeez, I have so many issues. But now, I have a few handmade gifts when needed.
The quilting on my Minion potholders is not too bad. I hope I can do the same on my baby quilt and then off to my “Zipper Quilt”. It is hard not to smile at a minion.
My one monthly Goal for July was to trim and bind my 9 patch. Yeah. Completed. This quilt has a loopy meandering. It is not too bad. Pretty sure I have meandering, and multiple variations of it, down packed. At this time, I have no plans for this quilt, just glad I can consider it finished.