So, because I get easily bored, I have sort of moved on to another hand project. I actually finished this piece in just one evening. I have plans to incorporate this into an under the sea quilt. I think (will have to look) that I have the fabric for this quilt. I will have to hunt for it. To see more fabulous hand work, please visit the ladies below:
I actually really like this piece. I had lots of advice from people on what to do and I thank all of you for your help. I so very often finish pieces and am unimpressed. This is already hanging in my dining room by all the other beautiful thinks that once belonged to Oma, Mom and now me.
Despite the fact that my Oma could not speak English, she always knew what to send me that would make me happy. Something to make or do. I believe the center embroidered piece is around 40 years old. Surprisingly, I did not do such a bad job as a kid.
The embroidered piece is made from linen, so I did add some interfacing to the back to add a bit of stability. I also sewed glass beads in the centers of some flowers to keep the batting from shifting. I went totally outside my box and did quilting outside my comfort zone and I am totally happy with it. How crazy is that? So, now, when I sit down to dinner, I can imagine Oma smiling down at me. Getting sentimental, I should stop now.
I Have decided to participate in the I wish you a Merry Quilt Along. One block every two weeks. I think I can manage that. So far so good. I have quite a collection of snowflake fabric, and I finally have a purpose for it. It will be interesting to see what the next block will look like. It wasn’t hard. Took me about an hour total and this included hunting for the snowflake fabrics in my boxes of fabric.
I also have my one Monthly Goal project. I am going to completely finish Oma’s treasure. As you can see from the photo, I have already partially taken some of this apart. When I posted my original picture I got a lot of good advice on what to do. Now I just need to do it. So, yes, I will sew on the beads, quilt and bind this for My One Monthly Goal for August. This is of course after I fix what I started tearing out.
Trying to decide if it is too obnoxious or loud. My goal was not to take away from the embroidery. I am not sure that I did that here. I don’t mind the happy colors, but when you look at it’s like a slap in the face of color. I still have a couple things in mind to do. One more one inch green around the outside, I think. I plan to quilt the outside, but I am not sure how yet. For where the embroidery is, since it is a such a long piece, I think I will sew tiny glass beads in the centers of some of the flowers to ensure the batting does not shift. Of course, my binding is a bit crazy. I have a striped piece of fabric (green/orange/pick/yellow) to add to the craziness of this piece. Feel free to give me your opinion on my color choices and any suggestions on quilting (kinda stumped with that). You will not offend me if you think it is awful. I asked for it. LOL.
On a positive note, some good news, my older daughter, who was in a horrific head on collision nearly a year ago, has moved out. I would say she is 90% of her old self, which is pretty good considering what I saw the first night in the ICU. While it was a challenging six months after the accident. The outcome was far better than I anticipated.
I found that quilting this piece was easier than others. I think it is because it is small and it made doing things other than meandering easier. While I feel slightly better about my quilting, I am pretty sure as soon as I go to bigger piece I will have the same issues.
I also like Halloween. I have another embroidered Halloween piece that I need to turn into something. I can’t just sit in front of the TV. My hands must always be occupied. So, I wind up embroidering something that I can put in my quilts.
I know, practice, practice, practice the quilting.
I want to get to a point where I can do the quilting with ease……
So, While I was going through boxes of sewing supplies, fabric etc… I came across these baby bibs. I believe I made them over 20 years ago. I had no children and I was not even thinking about getting married.
Ever since my older sisters had kids and I became an Aunt, I loved making things for babies and kids. My sister Karen’s kids had the greatest Halloween costumes. I made my nephew a dinosaur once. The tail was so long and big he had to tie a roller-skate to it so he did not drag a hole in it. I made my niece Minnie mouse and a belly dancer costume. My daughter has also had a butterfly and a witch costume (with a fancy witch gown). I don’t do much costume making these days, but spend lots of time on quilts and other crafty things.
I remember making these bibs. I used Kona cotton and traced the design with a pencil while I had them taped to the sliding glass door of my single girl condo. Oh the memories. I will put these away for that Grandchild I hope to meet one day.