So, after my June free motion quilting seminar, I have decided to branch out a bit. I am going to quilt an actual quilt, in the very near future (could be my August One Monthly Goal Project) with something other than meandering or a version of meandering. Big scary move for me. So, my “Zipper Quilt” top, I want to use a flower free motion design. However, I plan to do it on a smaller baby quilt first. I already have that top ready to go. Just need to get up the courage to do it.
Needless to say, I have been practicing (Using my cheap grill liner as a slider). All the practice got me thinking. My square sandwiches looked like potholders. So, I decided to make my final practice pieces into potholders. I bought a piece of the special thermal batting. I made all my practice sandwiches and on the last couple, when I had the hang of it, I made Minion potholders. I need to bind them, but I have plenty of binding scraps I can use. I have found that I make better flowers when I work from left to right and I like them best with 5 petals. Then. as I bind my potholders, I can also practice my corners. I don’t like binding corners either. Jeez, I have so many issues. But now, I have a few handmade gifts when needed.
The quilting on my Minion potholders is not too bad. I hope I can do the same on my baby quilt and then off to my “Zipper Quilt”. It is hard not to smile at a minion.
My one monthly Goal for July was to trim and bind my 9 patch. Yeah. Completed. This quilt has a loopy meandering. It is not too bad. Pretty sure I have meandering, and multiple variations of it, down packed. At this time, I have no plans for this quilt, just glad I can consider it finished.